Lights, Camera, Bracket - Best Disney/Pixar Film (Sweet 16)


We have widdled the field down from 32 to 16 in the "Best Disney/Pixar Films of All-Time" bracket. Round one saw only two real upsets, (6) Moana over (3) Toy Story 2 and (6) Jungle Book over (3) Ratatouille. While both picks are dead wrong, we have no say in who wins this thing.

It's time for you to pick the Elite Eight, but first, take a look at the matchups and breakdowns and picks from me (@JeffDLowe) and @BarstoolKenJac.



@JeffDLowe: 'Zootopia' got little respect in 2016 and that still bothers me. Other than that, there isn't much to say here. 'Toy Story' is one of the greatest movies of all-time, regardless of the category or bracket you put it in. NEXXXXXXT!
My Pick: (1) Toy Story My Prediction: (1) Toy Story 

@BarstoolKenJac: 'Zootopia' was SOOOOOO disrespected, maybe one of the most underrated movies of the last decade. *Extreme Stephen A. Smith voice* BUT 'Toy Story' is a once in a generation movie and franchise. 
My Pick: (1) Toy Story My Prediction: (1) Toy Story 


@JeffDLowe: I think the music in 'Aladdin' is stronger than the story, but the music itself is pretty incredible. The music won two Academy Awards, so that's enough right there, honestly. While 'Jungle Book' has a good story and some nice music on its own, "A Whole New World" alone gives 'Aladdin' the win here.
My Pick: (2) Aladdin My Prediction: (2) Aladdin

@BarstoolKenJac: Open and closed case for 'Aladdin' in my opinion. Both had good soundtracks, but the one from 'Aladdin' was far superior, and the plot and characters were WAY better and timeless to boot.
My Pick: (2) Aladdin My Prediction: (2) Aladdin


@JeffDLowe: Another movie with music that really lifts it to a whole different level. 'Beauty and the Beast' is another movie with some incredible Academy Awards to its name, so it really is a tough one to beat. 'Monsters, Inc.' was creative and different, and it deserved to beat 'Pinocchio,' but we are dealing with a juggernaut here. 'Beauty and the Beast' might just be the best song from any of the movies in this whole bracket.
My Pick: (1) Beauty and the Beast My Prediction: (1) Beauty and the Beast

@BarstoolKenJac: I may be one of the few people that was NOT a huge 'Beauty and the Beast' stan. Huuuuuge fan of the recent live-action rendition but I don't think the animated version had the same amount of OOMPH and grandeur. 'Monsters. Inc,' however, is an outstanding film that goes well as both a kids movie and holds up well as an adult. My prediction: 


My Pick: (2) Monsters Inc. My Prediction: (2) Monsters  Inc. 


@JeffDLowe: Let's get this straight - 'Moana' was not better than 'Toy Story 2,' but I'll let it slide. Oh man, how amazing was 'WALL-E!?' There is no dialogue for much of the movie, but it is packed with amazing visuals and storytelling. 'WALL-E' is a great example of the art of filmmaking at its finest. The story gives such a complex, and terrifying, look at what the world could look like one day. I always bump up Pixar movies when they go with heavy-handed narratives and themes. Easy one for me right here... but no way it beats 'Moana' in this vote.
My Pick: (2) WALL-E My Prediction: (6) Moana

@BarstoolKenJac: 'Moana' is probably going to end up the "best" Disney movie of the 2010's. Does that mean it should've beat 'Toy Story 2'? Well... no. 100% the fuck no. The movie did bang though and I definitely give it the edge over 'Wall-E,' which is basically just a cutesy social commentary. 
My Pick: (6) Moana My Prediction: (6) Moana


@JeffDLowe: Another quick and easy one here. I know 'Snow White' broke new ground, but 'Toy Story 3' completed an epic trilogy with a fresh, new twist and also managed to make grown men cry with an amazing final act. This movie ruled, rules and will rule for eternity.
My Pick: (1) Toy Story 3 My Prediction: (1) Toy Story 3


@BarstoolKenJac: 'Toy Story.' Not even a question and if you say differently I will skin you alive a la Ramsay Bolton. 
My Pick: (1) Toy Story 3 My Prediction: (1) Toy Story 3


@JeffDLowe: I will die on the 'Up' hill, mark my words. Creative, original idea? Check. Emotional backstory? Check. Great score? Check. Talking dogs? Check. Cute, adorable and likable characters? Check. I could go on forever here. The opinion that 'Up' wasn't great after its opening scene is complete shenanigans. 'Up' was incredible from start to finish and should be carrying a 1-seed. I can already tell 'Finding Nemo' is going to win because, you know, "just keep swimming" and shit like that, but 'Up' should really be a Final Four lock.
My Pick: (2) Up My Prediction: (3) Finding Nemo

@BarstoolKenJac: Jeff will murder me for this but I'm a 'Finding Nemo' stan till I die. 'Up' was great and cutesy, and will probably get the people's pick, but I will always prefer my brave clown fish. Also a huge Albert Brooks guy, such a fatherly voice/outstanding casting. 
My Pick: (3) Finding NemoMy Prediction: (2) Up


@JeffDLowe: It's the fucking 'Lion King,' folks. This isn't a discussion.
My Pick: (1) The Lion King My Prediction: (1) The Lion King

@BarstoolKenJac: ^^^^^^^^^ It sucks elephants have a great memory cause 'Dumbo' is easy to forget. 'Lion King' until I die. 
My Pick: (1) The Lion King My Prediction: (1) The Lion King


@JeffDLowe: This is easily the best matchup of the Sweet 16. While I did hesitate a tad, the pick for me was fairly easy: 'Inside Out.' There is nothing wrong with 'The Incredibles' and it may be one of the best superhero movies ever made (it's also the best 'Fantastic Four' movie ever made). On the other hand, though, 'Inside Out' was so damn creative that it still blows my mind. It might rival 'Up' as the deepest Pixar movie in terms of emotion. The only negative about this film is that I think it may have partially inspired the premise of 'The Emoji Movie.' Pixar making an animated movie so powerful, moving and intelligent was so ballsy and hot damn did it pay off. I think most will vote for 'The Incredibles,' but I urge everyone to think twice and tip the cap to 'Inside Out.'
My Pick: (2) Inside Out My Prediction: (3) The Incredibles

@BarstoolKenJac: This is for certain the best matchup and it isn't close or fair. Huge fan of both movies, but I think I have to go with the 'Incredibles.' A very original plot in the nuclear family of superhero dynamic, OUTSTANDING soundtrack, great conclusion. Really almost under-seeded, IMO. And hot damn Helen Parr could get it any day of the week WOOF.
-
Voting is now open! You can also vote on Twitter at @LightsCameraPod. Let us know your thoughts on here and on twitter. We will reveal the winners and the Elite Eight next week on "Lights Camera Pod."



Comments